Hadrian (117 – 138 A.D.) AE31 of Philippopolis, Thrace.River god Hebros (Marica)Rare

Ancient Coins - Hadrian (117 – 138 A.D.)  AE31 of Philippopolis, Thrace.River god Hebros (Marica)Rare
zoom view
Hadrian (117 � 138 A.D.) AE31 of Philippopolis, Thrace. Obv: ADRIANOC CEBACTOC. His , laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right / EPI ANT XHNWC FILIPPOPOLITWN, River god Hebros (Marica), seated left, holding in right hand thrown down urn, from which water flows, resting with left elbow on a rock, from which springing water.
 Moushmov 5076 VF wit beautiful green patina !! Rare

Philippopolis

Philippopolis is one of the oldest cities in Europe. It is a contemporary of Troy and Mycenae, and older than Rome, Athens, Carthage or Constantinople. Archaeologists have discovered fine pottery and other objects of everyday life from as early as the Neolithic Age, showing that in the end of the 7th millennium B.C there already was an established settlement there. According to Ammianus Marcellinus, Plovdiv�s written post-Bronze Age history lists it as a Thracian fortified settlement named Eumolpias. In 342 BC, it was conquered by Philip II of Macedon, the father of Alexander the Great, who renamed it �Φιλιππόπολις�, Philippopolis or �the city of Philip� in his own honour. Later, it again became independent under the Thracians, until its incorporation into the Roman Empire, where it was called Trimontium (City of Three Hills) and served as metropolis (capital) of the province of Thrace. Thrimontium was an important crossroad for the Roman Empire and was called �The largest and most beautiful of all cities� by Lucian. In those times, the Via Militaris (or Via Diagonalis), the most important military road in the Balkans, passed through the city. The Roman times were a glorious period of growth and cultural excellence. The ancient ruins tell a story of a vibrant, growing city with numerous public buildings, shrines, baths, and theatres. Many of those are still preserved and can be seen by the curious tourist wishing to experience the charm of ancient Rome up close.

The Slavs had fully settled in the area by the middle of the 6th century, but the region only became a province in Bulgaria in or about 815. It remained in Bulgarian hands until conquered by the Byzantine Empire in 970 or 971. The city again came to be known as Philippopolis and became Greek in character. Aime de Varennes in 1180 encountered the singing of Greek songs in the city that recounted the deads of Alexander the great and his predecssors, over 1300 years before.

Byzantine rule was succeeded by that of the Latin Empire in 1204, and there were two short interregnum periods as the city was twice occupied by Kaloyan of Bulgaria before his death in 1207. Under Latin rule, Plovdiv was the capital of the Duchy of Philippopolis governed by Renier de Trit, and later on by Gerard de Strem. Bulgarian rule was reestablished during the reign of Ivan Asen II between 1225 and 1229. In 1263 Plovdiv was conquered by the restored Byzantine Empire and remained in Byzantine hands until it was re-conquered by George Terter II of Bulgaria in 1322. Byzantine rule was restored once again in 1323, but in 1344 the city was surrendered to Bulgaria by the regency for John V Palaiologos as the price for Ivan Alexander of Bulgaria�s support in the Byzantine civil war. When Bulgaria was defeated by the Ottoman Empire in 1369, Plovdiv survived as one of the major cultural centers for Bulgarian culture and tradition. The name Plovdiv first appeared around that time and is derived from the city�s Thracian name Pulpudeva (assumed to be a translation of Philippopolis, from Pulpu = Philippou and deva = city), which was rendered by the Slavs first as Pəldin or Pləvdin. She was a sanjak in Rumelia Province, Ottoman Empire between 1369 and 1846 and in Edirne Province between 1846 and 1878.

Under the rule of the Ottoman Empire, Plovdiv (then known as Filibe) was a focal point for the Bulgarian national movement in the Eastern Rumelia province of the Empire. The city was liberated from the Ottomans during the Battle of Plovdiv in 1878 and, after the Congress of Berlin separated the autonomous region of Eastern Rumelia from Bulgaria, Plovdiv became its capital. At the time, it had a population of about 33,500, of which 45% were Bulgarians, 25% Greeks, 21% Turks, 6% Jews and 3% Armenians, a situation that changed rapidly in the following decades. A few years later, in 1885, Eastern Rumelia was absorbed into modern Bulgaria as part of the Bulgarian unification project.
By Stony Rumelian in History, Philippopolis

Prezzo SKU : 3507
US$ 195.00
  • € 167.45
  • £ 152.76
  • AUD 276.96
  • CHF 180.38
  • CAD 261.22

Quotazione: 09/24/20

Invia da: