Septimius Severus) AE30 of Pautalia / Shrine of Asklepios. Unlisted

Ancient Coins -  Septimius Severus) AE30 of Pautalia / Shrine of Asklepios. Unlisted
zoom view
 Septimius Severus) AE30 of Pautalia / Shrine of Asklepios. Unlisted type for there in both Moushmov and Varbanov.


Pautalia was a famous bath full of parks with temples and statues and it is well known especially with the best die-cutters at that time. Every coin of Pautalia is a beautiful miniature art piece and you can see this on the reverse of this coin!!

Kyustendil(Pautalia) is a national balneological resort at an altitude of 500 metres. The ancient name of the town, Pautalia (a town of springs) is Thracian[1].

There are more than 40 mineral springs in the town. The waters have a high content of sulfite compounds. These are used for the treatment of the locomotory system, gynecological and other kinds of diseases. The resort region includes several baths, balneological complexes and others.

Kyustendil is located at the foot of the Osogovo mountain, on both banks of the Banska River and is a well-known centre of balneology and fruit growing. The town is 90 kilometres southwest of Sofia, 69 km northwest of Blagoevgrad and 22 km from the border with the Republic of Macedonia. The fortress was built by the Romans. Thermae, basilicas, floor mosaics have been uncovered.

A Thracian settlement was founded at the place of the modern town in the 5th-4th century BC and the Romans developed it into an important stronghold, balneological resort and trade junction called Pautalia in the 1st century AD.

The Hisarlaka fortress was built in the 4th century and the town was mentioned under the Slavic name of Velbazhd (Велбъжд, meaning "camel")[1] in a 1019 charter by the Byzantine Emperor Basil II. The name came from the name of its heir, Konstantin Velbazhd. It became a major religious and administrative centre.

During the reign of Kaloyan, the town was liberated and became part of the Second Bulgarian Empire, acquiring its modern name in the 16th century, named after a local feudal lord Konstantin Dragash (ruled from 1379 to 1395).[1] In 1330 the battle of Velbazhd took place in the vicinity of the town. About 1355 Velbuzhd and its region were included in the semi-independent feudal Velbazhd principality of Despot Deyan. In 1372 the Turks conquered the town.

The residents of Kyustendil took an active part in the Bulgarian National Revival and crafts and trade flourished. The town was liberated from Ottoman rule on 29 January 1878.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia